Summer is in full swing as we have been off school since the beginning of June. That’s cause we homeschool and I can entice the children to buckle down and finish so that they can be gloriously free for 3 months.
Turns out they don’t love freedom as much as I thought they would, and really struggled with the lack of structure to their day. I honestly have thought on more than on occasion that teaching them school is less work then sorting out their summer squabbles. But like learning to homeschool, I’m just learning how to run this summer ship and am not as experienced at it as I thought.
I really thought the kids would just play outside happily for endless hours and I have to drag their little butts in just to feed them and put them to bed. Like school day afternoons were, only now they get ALL DAY. Only turns out they are like this for only half a day and the rest of it they are sick of each other and of each others games.
Going out for half the day really helps. And summer chores. What are your favorite boredom busters for kids age 4-10? Active ones…. I have to force my kids to STOP reading and go play 😂
On a side note, these are some of the lessons and things I’ve been learning this summer:
- 4 years is probably a bit long to leave cleaning the dangling kitchen lights.
- Vacuuming is more entertaining with Ranger Si popping out from behind the couch with binoculars.
- Veggies on the grill or baked in the oven are sweet and irresistible.
- My neighbor friend who lets the kids ALL come play for hours is irreplaceable and is sweet mercy from heaven above- God bless that woman.
- Turns out I’m not as bad at drawing as I thought I was, I just need to take sometime.
- Pork Tenderloins on the BBQ are mouthwatering.
- Jonas and Sammy are running around these days with knives slung on their belt loops, multi purpose jack knives in their pockets and lighters… but they also carry their own safety kits… and I’m good with it.
- The bat population has been threatened by White Nose Syndrome (white fungus) so….. there is a possibility we will all die by mosquitoes.
- Elise and Jonas are now better at making pancakes and salads than me.
- My rooster, Captain Tom, could eat me for breakfast.
- My husbands incredible patience teaching the kids to fish tugs at my heart in so many places.
- Go camping with your mom, and you will hardly need to pack a thing.
- Babies eventually turn four, but they still give cuddles and hugs.
- I can still pull myself up onto a floating object from out of the water, and am somewhat tricky to remove from said object… keep trying kids.
- Red is a fabulous toenail colour and this summer is no different then the rest in knowing Red is the best.
- If I ran uphill to the outhouse every time I or Si had to go to the washroom EVERYDAY I would have a lean bod. (Theory was tested for a few short days at the cabin) ((I say bod instead of body because it sounds so cool- and my kids probably think it’s a word now….))
- An empty fridge stresses me… but so does a really full fridge.
- Jesus loves me a whole crazy lot- but I gotta choose to believe it and live like I do.
- Si just turned four and plays his drums everyday. So I roughly have 5,110 days of listening to it left…. unless he’s still at home at 18.
- Mushrooms can grow bigger than your head.
Well thanks for listening to my rambles, hope your having a fantastic summer, and don’t forget to leave me with your boredom busters… or summer dinners, could totally use those too 😜